Monday, March 7, 2011

Godly Character Quality #16: Creativity!



“And he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, with intelligence, with knowledge, and with all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs, to work in gold and silver and bronze…” Exodus 35:31-32

Creativity is all around us. I love being creative!!! I did a few creative things myself this past weekend.

I think we all know what creativity is, but then again, do we really? Character Quality #16 is… Creativity vs. Under-achievement: Approaching a need, a task, or an idea from a new perspective. – Romans 12:2

Seriously? This was meant to be. I LOVE Romans 12:2! I put it down as one of my 5 favorite verses of Scripture last week. “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

Get a new perspective on life (no, they don’t sell that at the store). Be transformed by the power of God’s Word. Do something out of the norm. Be adventurous. Live this wonderful God given life of yours with vigor! That’s what creativity is all about.

We are creative with food, with crafts, with clothes… but what about being creative with our LIVES? Ever thought about that?

See the world in a different way. Marvel. When you see a bee, don’t think, “Get away from me! I hate bees.” Instead, think, “Ah. What a beautiful God given creation.” This is just an example. You can apply this concept to so many areas of your life.

Be empowered. Approach new things with a outlook. A lot of times, we are asked or forced to do what we don’t want to do. We complain. We get upset. Why? Why don’t we just change our view? Approach everything from the attitude that, “You are God’s child. He will love you forever, and He will never forsake you!”

Purpose to be creative and see the Light in new ways. It’s everywhere!

This past weekend, I purposed to give attention to my sister, Rachel. There is an 8 year age difference, and she is always envious of everything I do. We used to fight all the time, but now that we are older, this has gotten better. I’m pretty sure she has some kind of inferiority complex because I was always the overachiever. She has a right to feel that way, but I wanted to provide her with some positive influence.

First off, I let her help me make cookies. Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise cookies that I got from Pennies on a Platter!


They were a little complex for her to make all by herself, but I let her make the dough and filling. It was a fun experience and I know it was good for her to receive all the praise for the delicious cookies.

Second was something I did for her as a surprise. I was going to take an old coffee can and turn it into a storage bin for my scrapbooking supplies. However, I knew she was jealous that I came up with the idea, so I decided to decorate the coffee can for her instead.


It was great fun to sneak around the house finding the supplies I needed to make an old, metal coffee can into a chic decoration. I decided to use Tinkerbell wrapping paper instead of scrapbook paper because I know she adores Tinkerbell. I was disappointed that I couldn’t find my scrapbooking stickers, but I improvised with bows.


I don’t know if this was the brightest showcase of my artistic talent of not, but Rachel loved it. And me? I loved that she was loving it.


All of this came from my willingness to be creative. To see spending time with and doing things for my sister as a blessing, instead of a chore.

It take some faith. It really does. But if we are willing, if the Lord is willing, then our spirits can be renewed with His wisdom and flooded with His love. 

 For behold, he who forms the mountains and creates the wind, and declares to man what is his thought, who makes the morning darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth— the Lord, the God of hosts, is his name! – Amos 4:13

 Now that I think about it, I should have put Romans 12:2 on the inside of the coffee can, as a reminder. But then again it might have been a conflict of interest seeing as I don’t really know Tinkerbell’s religious affiliations. J

Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you and your sister had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post..and I love the coffee can! I hope you have a wonderful, Inspirational week! =)

    ReplyDelete