Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Godly Character Quality #14: Gentleness!



 Let me ask you this… do you care? I mean, really, do you care? Do you shoe compassion for other people? Are you kind to them? Do you console them, and help them heal? Are you concerned for them? If you answered yes to anything them you’ll love this character quality. If you answered no to everything, then come along for the ride and learn with us!

Gentleness vs. Harshness: Showing personal care and concern in meeting the needs of others. – 1 Thessalonians 2:7

I am what I would call selectively gentle. Or in other words, gentle to who I chose to be gentle to. When someone is hurting, or when they need a helping hand, or maybe even just someone to talk to, I’m vying for the position. I love that type of stuff! However, other times, (especially back in those days when I was a 14 year old with a 7 year old sister) I can be least gentle person ever. I used to fight with my sister like crazy. Sometimes, I still do. J



I don’t think that selectively gentle good enough. For some people it’s fine, but to me, choosing who to care for and be concerned for, is just not right. Why? Because it’s not for me to choose. It’s up to God.

“What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” – James 2:14-17

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” – John 13:34-35

It’s pretty clear to me who God has chosen. Everyone. Yes, everyone. He wants me to care for everyone I meet, be concerned for everyone I know, be a friend to everyone who needs a friend. And you know what? I accept that challenge, because even though it sounds daunting, I have His grace to back me up.

Join in: challenge yourself to be gentle and kind to everyone. Don’t let anyone mess it up either. If someone is getting on your nerves to the point where you are ready to thrown in the towel and be harsh, stop yourself. Ask yourself (and, yes, I know how terribly cliché this is, but…): What would Jesus do? Because I guarantee you the answer won’t be scream and yell.
This is about caring: let people know you care. You are concerned about them and their well-being. You want to do what you can to help them.

This won’t be easy, but I’m committed to “going gentle”. I’m not surpassing great opportunities to show I care and to assist any longer.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” –Philippians 4:6

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. I am a new follower from blog frog. I am touched by your advocacy for Down's Syndrome children. They are precious, as are all children. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete