Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Daddy, How Do You Know God's Real?


Daughter: How do you know God is real? You can't see God.

Dad: The wind is real but you can’t see the wind. You can only see the leaves rustling in the trees. And pain is real, but you can’t see pain. You can only see tears. Happiness is real but you can't see happiness. You can only see the smile on someone’s face.

Daughter: Will something bad happen to me if I don’t believe In God? Will something good happen to me if I do? I need to know.

Dad: Oh, so you want to weigh the punishment against the reward and then see which way to go?

Daughter: Yeah, kind of like that. If believing in God means I get a bunch of good stuff, then I believe in Him. Or if something bad is going to happen, then I believe in Him. But if nothing is going to happen, then I really don’t know.

Dad: You’re a tough one. Okay… I believe in God. And bad things and good things have happened to me and will continue to happen to me. But because I believe in God, I find I can get through the bad things. And if I didn’t get through the bad things then I’d never be able to enjoy the good things.
This is the conversation I heard last night while I was watching {what else?} 7th Heaven. The Dad is Eric {Minister} and the Daughter is Ruthie {Youngest, about 6 years old.}

Ruthie finds out that her favorite cartoon character is not real, and it is devastating for her. It causes her to question... If cartoons aren't real, what else isn't real? Is God real? Of course, being a minister, this hits her Dad close to home and he is determined to get her believing in God again.

Just because you don't believe in Him, doesn't mean He doesn't exist.  


I thought this conversation was so sweet. She's a little girl. She doesn't know who to believe in, when to believe, why she should believe... It's all so innocent. :)

What if the conflict is bigger than this? What if it's an Earth-shattering, life-changing event?

We believe in God when things are easy. That's not a challenge. But what about when things are tough? Will we trust in God then? Will He be enough for us?

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. - 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Hardship is all the more reason to trust God. Sometimes, He may very well be all you have to hold onto. But that's okay. He's not going anywhere! His grace is abundant, and He's waiting to lavish it on us, if we can just trust in Him and be unwavering in our faith.

His Grace is more than real, and more than Enough.



I'm certain that God is there. No doubt about it. I've got faith, and that's all I need. To plant a garden is to believe... that your plants are going to grow. To follow the Lord, is to believe... that He's there, and that by His grace, we will be saved. :)

...He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.” - John 20:24

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. - John 6:47

What makes you chose to believe?

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Another great post Sydney. I was just talking to my husband about the day Brooklynn might ask if God is real. He brought up a wonderful point, children are much more apt to BELIEVE than adults who have to see to believe. I believe because I feel His presence through the Holy Spirit. When I pray to Him I feel calm and when I imagine Heaven it is 100x better than all we love on earth!

    ReplyDelete