Saturday, February 5, 2011

Godly Character Quality #9: Thriftiness!



Okay, so this isn't really the MOST godly character quality, but it is something that is constantly on everyone's minds! Character quality #9 is: Thriftiness vs. Extravagance: Not letting myself or others spend that which is not necessary. -Luke 16:11 

So, I know you are thinking, what in the world does thriftiness have to do with being a good Christian person? Luke 16:11 says,  "So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?"  Ah. That verse hits the nail right on the head, all right!

Let me just say this: I am usually one of the most frugal people around. I do not indulge myself when I get money. On my last birthday, my uncle sent me some money with the message, "Do something wild and reckless with it. Don't even THINK about saving it." I'm pretty sure you can guess exactly what I did: saved it!

My sister is a sucker for impulse buys. Money burns a hole in her pocket (Wow, I am really taking advantage of a lot of cliche's today, aren't I?). I'm the one in control, she's the more "reckless" one.

Lately, I've been feeling a little overwhelmed. My birthday is in December, so pretty much anytime I think of something I want I just put it on the list. I'm usually fine with that. However, December just seems like such a long time to have to wait! I want to buy a few particular things so bad!

Yesterday, I went to Barne's and Noble. I am in love with book stores; they are pretty much the bane of my existence! (The smell, the look, the feel, the endless possibility, the... yes, I know, I'm obsessed! Well, I went into the Christian books section and fell in love. (The Confident Woman Devotional, Reshaping it ALL, Any Minute, Battlefield of the Mind, need I say more?) Oh, and I fell even deeper in love with this Vera Bradley journal  (which I REALLY don't need)!



As challenging as it may have been, I did not buy anything. I'm not sure why the sudden onset of wanting to buy so many things. It's been hard, but I try to look at the big picture. I need to have money saved up in the bank... not a cute Vera Bradley journal.

No one NEEDS a sports car, no one NEEDS designer clothes, no one NEEDS to eat out a expensive restaurants... these are all WANTS. As much as we would like to have them, we can totally survive without them. Thriftiness is a battle; we all have to work together if we want to win the war!

I had seriously never even thought about thriftiness the way Luke 16:11 teaches us to think of it, until just a few minutes ago. Now I understand. My faith has steadily been growing stronger, and God always tests our faith in Him. He brought on all these sudden impulses to test how I would react. If I wasn't smart with mere money, how could God trust me with His word?

I understand know that my real wealth is my spiritual wealth. My relationship with God. Millions of dollars, even billions of dollars, couldn't buy a relationship with the Lord. That is something personal that has to be built. I realize that i must stay strong and wise with the little everyday things so that I will be strong and wise in God's word.

Lord, please give me the strength to withstand my Earthly desires and wait for what you have in store for me,  because I know that will be worth more than anything the world has to offer. Please guide me and help me to grow stronger through your Word. Thank you for loving me just as I am and for blessing me so greatly on your Earth. The real treasure is not coins buried in a chest; its being able to grow closer to you and abide by your desires for my life. I am yours.

God Bless,

Sydney

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world- the desire of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride on possessions- is not from the father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with it's desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever." - John 2:15-17

Think about it: What does Thriftiness mean to YOU?

No comments:

Post a Comment