Friday, May 6, 2011

Refusing to Rejoice



"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy's."


Almost a week ago, on this past Sunday, May 1st, the world started celebrating.


Was it a holiday? No.


Was there a special wedding or birthday? No.


Why were we celebrating again?

We, dear friends, as a whole, were celebrating the death of someone else.

Osama Bin Laden.


I was on Twitter when I got this news. I can't tell you how many tweets I saw regarding how great this was. People were so happy! As a friend said, "5-1-11. A small revenge for 9-11-01."


Now, don't get me wrong: I realized what he did. I know who Osama Bin Laden is, yet at the same time, I could help but feel... sorry for him.


This is probably the only time I will ever get into a political issue on this blog. Really. I'm not much for politics. However, I feel like this is important to share. It's okay if you don't agree with me!

When I saw this massive out pour of people rejoicing over this situation, it made me feel bad. I mean, I sincerely hope that when I die (in 100+ years!), people aren't rejoicing about it.


Granted, I'm not planning on blowing up any skyscrapers, either. 


I don't know about you, but I refuse to rejoice. Our country has been on edge for almost 10 years, trying catch this man. And he's finally caught.


I've come a long way learning to be a compassionate, empathetic, non-judgmental person (still working on it, actually).  This is why I cannot bring myself to get excited over another mans death.


It's the principle of the thing. No matter who they are, I simply won't celebrate. I can't.


Blessings!


What about you? Do you see where I'm coming from? How did you react? Are you rejoicing, or are you refusing?

No comments:

Post a Comment