Friday, May 27, 2011

Be REAL {Jesus was}





The other day, I was visiting my parents. My dad and I went to Walmart to pick up a few things.


As we were walking back to our car, an older man looked to my dad and said, "Hey! How are you doing?"


My dad replied with an, "I'm good, thanks for asking."


No big deal.


i, on the other hand, was just dying to get to the car. As soon as my dad was inside, I immediately asked him, "Did you know that guy?"


"No. He was just being friendly."


"He's a weirdo. That is so creepy!" were the first words out of my mouth.


As soon as I said that, I wondered, "Why?"


What did that man do wrong to make me think he was weird or creepy? I think the real question is what did he do right.


"A man who is kind benefits himself, but a cruel man hurts himself." {Proverbs 11:17}


Back before my time, people used to be different. If you saw someone on the street, you would say hello. You would flash your best smile. If someone needed help reaching an item in the store, you would grab it for them. People would engage in real conversations, not just small talk ending with an, "I'm fine", when really, who is?


You want to know what happened?


People got busy. Suddenly, there was no time for conversations, warm smiles, befriending the woman in line in front of you at the grocery. It was just... go, go, go.


We made a mistake.


That is not how life should be! We should not be weirded out when someone says hello to us. Sadly, that's what it's come to. 


In my life, I've always had to goal of becoming more like Jesus with each passing breath. 


"For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them." {2 Peter 2:21}


In so many ways, none of us are like Jesus. Times were much simpler 2,000 years ago. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.


Jesus was non-judgmental. Even when he was around those who didn't believe in Him, those who tortured and mocked Him, He wasn't rude. He was kind, offering up advice to anyone who asked for it, telling people that all they needed to do was repent, and they would be saved.


"So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin." {James 4:17}


Friends, as Christians you sometimes have to go against the grain. Society has been turned, twisted, and reshaped. WE have new "Normals", when what we really need to stick to is the original "normals" and standards set by Christ, himself.


Be kind to one another.

Show compassion. 

Lend a helping hand.

Accept people for who they are. 

Do random nice things for complete strangers and out-of-the-blue times.

Be a source of encouragement.

Go a little deeper than to just say, "I'm fine." Be REAL with someone.


As Gandhi says, "Be the change you want to see in this world." Be the change. Don't wait for someone else to be the change and then jump on the bandwagon. Because I'm telling you, friends... that won't happen. 


Be the trend setter. Take a step in the godly direction. Every great journey starts with one small step, right?


"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." {Ephesians 4:32}


I'm really going to try to live with this new outlook on life. It's not creepy to say hello to someone. Truthfully, it's scary that in the past few months, I've only seen that one man do it.


"They profess to know God, but they deny Him in their works." {Titus 1:16} 


I've often wondered if people can tell your a Christ follower. We don't look any different or dress any different  However, I hope that people are able to see it through my countenance. My newfound willingness to go the extra mile to be more like Jesus, and let his powerful kindness radiate through me and lead my spirit.  


"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." {Romans 12:2}


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I am assuming that you do not live in the south. Am I right? We live in Tx and not to make too many generalizations but where I live people say hi and ask eachother how they are all of the time. I actually live in a very big city also. When I first moved back here when I was 16 (from Ca), I was kind of confused when people would first ask that. Now I am so used to it. Not that everyone does it or always has a happy smile on their faces... not at all. When we lived in the NE for a while, I would say hi to people they acted like I was going to follow them home to kill them! Haha! They were also much more go, go, go like you said. It should be different and hopefully it will not be any more uncommon to hear a friendly hello. Maybe you should try a random hello this week... maybe I should, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder for all of us busy, unfriendly people. We need to slow down and enjoy mankind again. Have a great weekend Sydney.

    ReplyDelete